Sunday 19 February 2017

Conversation at the General Store

Customer: Two cakes of Rexona, Please.
Shopkeeper: Five rupees and eighty paise only. Anything else?

Customer: Five rupees and eighty paise! Why? Don’t you sell at the controlled rates?
Shopkeeper: Sorry, madam. Except in a few commodities, there is no margin of profit at controlled rates. We too are helpless.

Customer: No, this is a lame excuse for overcharging.
Shopkeeper: Absolutely not. I am taking only five paise extra per cake.

Customer: No. I shall not pay even one paise extra. You better charge me the controlled price or else I shall have to report the matter to the authorities.
Shopkeeper: This is improper pressure. But I do not want to displease you. You may pay me at the controlled rates.

Customer: I also want ‘Dalda’ and sugar.
Shopkeeper: Sugar is not available. For ‘Dalda’, you may go to that counter in the queue.

Customer: Could you not somehow help me out of turn?
Shopkeeper: Sorry. I do not think that would be fair to the people in the queue.

Customer: Oh, come on. You can give me under this counter, if you like.
Shopkeeper: Please don’t compel me. Anything more?

Customer: Well, give me one pocket of superior tea and a tin of Cadbury too.
Shopkeeper: Here’s the Cadbury. And which brand of tea?

Customer: Taj Mahal.
Shopkeeper: Anything else, madam.

Customer: Give me a good shampoo also.
Shopkeeper: Which one do you want? Herbal will do?

Customer: What is the price?
Shopkeeper: Sixty-five rupees, but there is a discount five rupees, so please give me sixty rupees.

Customer: That’s all. Give me the bill. You didn’t tell me when will sugar be available?
Shopkeeper: Tuesday is our closed day. On that day we will go to purchase fresh stock. Come any day after that. 

Customer: Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment